Sunday, August 26, 2012

Everywhere You're Not Looking

Imagine my surprise today while sitting on a cramped plane looking through the SkyMall magazine and come across a quote that hit home so closely, I was nearly dumb-founded. SkyMall? Seriously? Of all places to come across something insightful, that was one of the last places I would've expected it. I guess part of the insight is realizing that things aren't always where you're looking. They're just where they are when they need to be.

The quote was this; "She wasn't where she had been. She wasn't where she was going...but she was on her way." It applied to me in more ways than one right now. Picture me sitting on an airplane with five hours of flight time ahead of me, meanwhile stewing inside over some personal drama that had unraveled the night before. I was a mess. I was filled with anger, anxiety and sadness. I was dreading the confines of the airplane knowing that I couldn't do anything to truly distract myself from the thoughts running through my mind. I wanted to crawl out of my skin. All of the supportive and loving things my friends had been saying were valued, but I was pretty much inconsolable. Then....I read this quote. The timing and location couldn't have been more perfect. It applies to not only my physical travel on this current day, but on a deeper level where I am in life right now.

I was happy to find that this quote is actually extended. In full;

"She wasn't where she had been. She wasn't where she was going…but she was on her way. And on her way she enjoyed food that wasn't fast, friendships that held, hearts glowing, hearts breaking, smiles that caught tears, paths trudged and alleys skipped. And on her way she no longer looked for the answers, but held close the two things she knew for sure. One, if a day carried strength in the morning, peace in the evening, and a little joy in between, it was a good one…and two, you can live completely without complete understanding." ~ Jodi Hills

The final phrase of this quote is really profound for me. I am in a constant quest to make sense of things, and while I think that thirst is still admirable and healthy, it is a good reminder to realize we can live a complete and full life without fully understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment